SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:12 PM   #11
mellenger
mellenger

5 yr Member

I took the video down so everyone can just cool it.

This was before I knew that anyone had seen the first video and I was in blissful anonymity. I’m trying hard to believe that segways are just a new form of transportation and can replace a second car but I can’t. They are just too much fun and go too slow to really be useful for transportation. So that leaves recreation, and for that I think they are so much fun. Has anyone tried Segway Polo? Wow that would be a lot of fun. And the patent drawing with the single wheel, wow.

Riding no hands is really easy and natural, I’m sure most owners have done it. Holding a video camera with your right hand and steering with your left works well too… almost as if they designed the steering grip on the left side for a reason. I’m sure there is a model without a handlebar in the works, it’s too natural of a progression to ignore.

I think Segways were designed and marketed with this higher utopian purpose to rid the world of pollution etc. but they ended up, for the meantime anyways, and really fun toys that give you a new experience. And if that is all they ever are that is still an amazing accomplishment.

If pt really cared so much about bad press hurting the public’s acceptance of segways then he shouldn’t have started this thread. I’m not a battle-hardened forum poster boy and I’m having a tough time dealing with this blankety-blank-blank.

========
http://m3mm.com
mellenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:30 PM   #12
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hello Andrew.

You say that Segways are good for recreation, and I think they are too. All of that stuff is fun. Yeah, I've done no-hands.

But there's a difference between shredding it up at a skateboard park, and hot-dogging it in a public park. Weaving around folks who have every right to enjoy a park without the threat of skatepunks on motor-scooters.

Forget about us, what about those folks in the park?
You don't have to believe in a utopian vision for a Segway to show common courtesy to the people you share the park with.

Ill intentions or not, all actions have consequences.

People fight to ban Segways from my city. I haven't videotaped my slow, gentle, friendly daily commute to work. But folks watching your violent ride will share it with others. Bad news travels fast. Nobody wants to see my boring gentle ride to work, but everyone loves a car-crash.

Glad you didn't get arrested when you rode illegally in a park.

I'd like to not have to break the law in order to ride my Segway.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:03 PM   #13
stevew
stevew is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

With all the hotdogging they do I'm amazed at how sedate and nonplussed the other folks in the park were. They barely seemed to notice the Segways! Is this just how Canadians are, sort of nonchalant? I don't know, I've only been there once.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:50 PM   #14
mellenger
mellenger

5 yr Member

We did have people notice us on that ride. Jack warned us that people would stop us and ask about it. We probably spend at least 1/2 of our 90 min talking to people and handing out flyers for Segway Rentals. I must have handed out 50 flyers easily. Everyone was really interested in trying them out.

When we drove by people we slowed down and didn't freak anyone out. Just the interesting stuff made the video. I filmed about 25min of footage and it's down to a 3 min video, so you can imagine there is a lot of just riding around not bothering anyone.

========
http://m3mm.com
mellenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:53 PM   #15
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

that's good to hear no one seems to be freaked.

did jack ask you or pay you to hand out the flyers?

were the flyers in the bag?

i kinda wish jack woulda warned you about other stuff :-]

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:18 PM   #16
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I kinda wish you would make a video of the other 22 minutes of boring stuff.

:-)

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:29 PM   #17
hubbahbubbah
hubbahbubbah

5 yr Member

I think Andrew actually brings up a good point about the recreational use of Segways. Fun can be an end in itself, after all.

Dave Winer, a blogger and tech visionary whom I greatly respect, had an an article way back, when the Segway was released, speculating that it may end up as a recreational device, more than anything else. I don't see that happening right now, but I think it's an interesting perspective:

http://davenet.userland.com/2001/12/...WinerOnASegway

What do you all think?

Hubbah

::: http://stinkyshorts.blogspot.com :::
hubbahbubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 05:59 PM   #18
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Well, when something isn't out, you can speculate a lot about what the ultimate value of it will prove to be. And even from this point, it's speculation, somewhat. *So far* it has shown itself to be a short distance car replacement in the majority of cases here on SC. But we're a small percentage of the entire Segway population.
Who knows?
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:09 PM   #19
GlideMaster
GlideMaster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Where is this so called video?
GlideMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:14 PM   #20
gotseg
gotseg

5 yr Member

Yes, where is this video? Can someone put it up on geocities or something?

gotseg?
gotseg is offline   Reply With Quote