Thread: Helmets?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 04:39 PM   #5
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Casey

From what I have seen, Segway's are very intuitive to learn, and with DS they should be very difficult to dump. At the speeds Segway's travel I find it rather ludicrous to wear a helmet riding one. If it is protection against being hit by an automobile I find that also questionable, as Segway is not expected to be traveling with cars, and should not be more subject to an automobile accident than a pedestrian is.

If children are to ride them, I think the same laws should apply to helmets for Segway as for bicycles or ATV's.
Don't kid yourself: A fall at 12.5mph could be fatal and Segway riders will find ways to fall. A CPSC approved bike helmet provides effective protection in a drop from 2 meters, i.e. 15mph, anyway. Beyond that the effectiveness of most helmets drops. Their real value is in low speed falls, just the kind a Segway rider might experience at 12.5mph.

If a Segway is not expected to be traveling with cars, why have 25 states given EPAMD's the specific right to use the roads? Questionable? Check out the laws. And if people can, they will. Sometimes out of necessity, sometimes because it will be faster, sometimes because it may actually be safer than the sidewalk.
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote