Thread: Helmets?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2002, 04:37 PM   #3
CephasH
CephasH

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Antagony
I have never worn a helmet while riding a bike. I would not want to be forced to do so by law either. The same goes for Segway, even more so, since it is supposed to be safer to ride.

Why? It is a hastle to put on a helmet and take it off and carry it around. It is a hastle to have to comb your hair. If you are female you dont want your hair messed up.

I would like to see some statistic though as to how many injuries are prevented due to helmets.
Meaningful statistics, there's the rub. There were studies done in the late 80's that predicted the helmets would reduce bicycle deaths by 85%. As helmet use has increased, in some places by new laws, the predictions have not panned out.

In Australia, where mandatory helmet laws were enacted, reductions in bike deaths have been noted. But the cause/effect has not been proven since the law was part of a major highway safety campaign that cut all highway deaths, even pedestrian, largely due to stiff enforcement of drunk driving laws. In addition, there were many bike riders who were so opposed to the law that they stopped riding. Fewer riders, fewer deaths.

Even so, those groups that promote mandatory bike helmet laws press on. Once they get the bikes, they will come after skaters, boarders, skiers and probably Segways.

Observation:
Initially we were told that Segway riding was intuitive and could be learned in minutes. But the early demonstrations featured riders with helmets. Now we are seeing formal classes for Segway riders that can last an entire day, but the helmets have disappeared. Intuitive but maybe not so safe vs not so intuitive but safer. The message I'm seeing is that proper safety training is more important than protective gear and I heartily agree. I wish someone would apply this principle to other activities.
CephasH is offline   Reply With Quote