View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 01:01 AM   #9
vertigo1
vertigo1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Personal Transporters were supposed to revolutionize 'human transport' but sadly, Dean was an engineer and he never hired a 'bean counter'. The result was engineering run amok, which gave you the most high quality, technical solution to every single problem, cost be damned. This resulted in a VERY sophisticated machine, but at a cost few could afford. Dean had done this once before, when he built a $25K wheel chair that almost nobody who needed it could afford

The used market is finally getting machine prices down to where they're affordable for most of us. After taking a Seg tour in Nashville 3 or 4 years ago, my wife and I got to serously thinking about buying a pair of Segs, which we would NEVER have contemplated at the new $6K price point. We now own 3 I2's, all bought at bargain basement used prices. The last one we bought was a 79 mile almost new machine that we paid $1500 for . . . . and it came with one brand new battery and one older, still serviceable battery. The first two we bought together for $3,500 and one of them only had about 800 miles on it. Both had older, but still good batteries. Over the past few years we collected several 2014 and newer batteries as we found good deals on them and sold our older but still serviceable batteries for nearly enough to cover the cost of the newer ones

So, yes, there is still 'life' in I2 ownership - Especially at today's prices. There is still nothing like a 'real' Segway . . . . and now, most of us can finally afford to play!

Don
100%.
I too just got back an i2 (STUPIDly) traded in mine a few years ago for a miniPro S which subsequently got stolen :-(.
Glad to see others getting back into it. If anyone has any thoughts for old p133 tires, that'd be awesome (revicing some gen 1 machines as well.
Cheers everyone!