View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Unfortunately, that wouldn't actually accomplish anything. In order for a redirect to work -- your browser has to actually first contact the old address. The current situation prevents that from happening -- the browsers are being told the domain doesn't even exist.

(When you talk about putting an .htaccess file "on the root of the domain", there's a confusion of terminology here. You're talking about configuring the server for HTTP service on the domain. The problem here lies with the DNS service that is used to locate the server. When the browser contacts whatever domain server your computer is configured to use (typically supplied by your ISP), it, in turn, asks the .com servers where to find the domain. They are responding that the domain does not exist (NXDOMAIN). That is, the domain name itself is gone. That has to be turned back on by TuCows (or the domain transferred to another registrar, who then inform the .com servers what domain name servers supply the actual server location.

They'll do that -- for the price of a domain renewal, which is what it is.)

The only way to to fix this is to renew the domain name. I have no idea of what Frank's situation is or what the holdup would be, but if it's technical knowledge that's needed, I can help. But TuCows's support will be in a better position to do so.
Yes, I understand the technology. I manage 2 different servers and dozens of domains for myself, another guy and our customers. I know when my domains are up for renewal, even before I get that first reminder from the registrar. I know that I have to keep all my various accounts updated with current addresses and other contact information. And I know that Tucows customer service is excellent. Paying the fees and getting things back to normal is an hours thing, not a days thing. Tucows didn't drop the ball, Frank and the administrators of SegwayChat did.

Jim