View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #17
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default What error code is showing on the UI screen?

I've attached a jpg from a Segway HT service manual that shows 4 of the error displays in conjunction with the Wrench symbol.

Is your i167 telling you that you have a Platform Fault, an Unknown Fault, or a Front/Rear Battery Fault?

If the problem is an Unknown Fault then it is one of the following possibilities, and you can track it down and resolve it by swapping on known-good parts:

(a) a faulty Handlebar
(b) faulty Handlebar cables between the handlebar and yellow & black plugs, or faulty plugs
(c) faulty CSB
(d) faulty cables cables or plugs (yellow and black) rising up out of the CSB
(e) faulty battery pack(s) - where the fault is of a different type than indicated in the attached file

If it is an Unknown Fault then this is good news. It means that your PowerBase (i.e. platform) is still OK, and all you need to do is swap on the appropriate known-good part(s) to make your i167 fully operational again.

If it is a Platform Fault then I am sorry to say the news is not good. Your i167 probably encountered a fault that it has determined is sufficiently serious that the device needs to be serviced by a Technician, as was the philosophy in the early-2000's. We called this a "latch fault" in that the unit won't start until the fault logs are cleared. If there is someone out there who can "unlatch" your PowerBase then you have a chance of fixing it (depending on the cause of the fault or upon what component is faulty).

I no longer have the ability to unlatch Gen 1 PowerBases, and do not know how it can be done anymore. But I'd be interested in finding out!

My guess is that when you were riding hard on weak battery packs this caused a condition that was logged as a "latch fault". Did it happen when you hit a big bump, putting the machine under heavy load? I remember this happening to me back in the days of dodgy NiMH packs. Simply by unlatching, the machine would then work fine again (with good battery packs).

Unfortunately, on Gen 1 just about every Platform fault would cause the machine to latch. It wasn't really designed for in-field service, unfortunately. Whereas on Gen 2, a smaller percentage of faults would cause a latch, enabling certain faults to be resolved simply by swapping faulty components for good ones.

Philip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Segway HT Service_Manual page 13.jpg (143.3 KB, 21 views)