View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Paula465
Paula465 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Any vehicle (and I'm using this term to cover anything with wheels), whether operated manually or by a motor, can cause injury if not used with care and consideration of those around us.

Just as we caution people not to run down halls because of the danger that poses, certainly we should also take care when moving at more than a walking pace in a mobility device.

The problem with such articles is that it doesn't clearly state what happened. Maybe the woman did step out into the hallway without looking - many of us do, after all, it's a hallway; we're exiting a door - not stopped at a traffic light or stop sign making sure it safe to pull out. Maybe the person in the motorized wheel chair was going too fast for safety.

What I do disagree with is making the issue about mobility devices per se. It should be about the person who is found at fault being held accountable for their actions - especially if it caused harm to another.

I would feel the same way if the person had run into another using his/her own two legs and caused bodily harm. Being responsible and being safe is everybody's business.