View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #20
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Bureaucrats like to pontificate. There are no restrictions on if bureaucrats can be scientists or not. Those who must publish to keep the public (tax funded) dollars rolling in are not immune from pontificating.

I saw no practical or experiential evidence that said that anyone has survived a lightening strike, or had less damage to their body, because they squatted with their heels together instead of coming in out of the rain. Perhaps it exists, but all I found was theoretical data.

Of all the lightening survivors documented that I saw, none were squatting with their heels together.

We should also consider that this question was posed by a mobility challenged senior person.

I am not entirely in that same category, but do have my own challenges, and feel that the likelihood of having damage or discomfort from trying to squat like that in the rain is higher than from lightening strikes.

On this very thread, we have a first hand experience from ball lightening inside a house, so I can only hope that everyone in that dining room immediately jumped to their feet, then squatted in the corners of the room, as that would seem the only way to survive that event.

On considering that... I generally have between 25 to 30 people at my home each Thanksgiving for dinner. I shall propose to my wife that we should all eat while squatting with our heels together. If she agrees, I hope to be able to snap a picture and post it here.

All this aside, I still propose that all that has been posted here will have no impact at all on the likelihood of anyone reading this thread from being struck by lightening, or helping them to survive a strike, but if anyone does squat in the rain with their heels together, it may increase their likelihood of having some knee discomfort or the sniffles.

I agree with the statement that if armed with complete information, one has a better chance of determining what is factual and what is opinion, and come to a personal conclusion about what is reasonable. The problem is, when I post what I feel is reasonable, some do not like it.

On a parallel note, if segging on the moon without a space suit, you are best off holding your breath.

If anyone reading these words actually segways on the moon without a space suit, and without holding their breath, or gets struck by lightening and survives by squatting with their heels together, please post to this thread or send me a personal message, and I will happily print a retraction.

Edit: Upon reading my first line, I realize that I like to pontificate, and while not a bureaucrat, I am surely not alone in this tendency, as many of us on the internet like to do it. As a measure of full disclosure, I also do it in person, and upon occasion, will do it while squatting in the rain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 05-27-2015 at 08:31 AM..
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote