View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Gen 1 machines are fun to ride. Kinda like driving a vintage sports car. Hopefully you can get it going.

If it beeps, there is a fairly good chance it will start up with a pair of adequate battery packs attached. I suggest asking about online if there is anyone in your region who has a Segway PT who will let you attach their battery packs to your machine for a few minutes, just to see if it starts up and operates normally. Perhaps a local Segway Tour business might be accommodating?

Because you have a 'beep' it is more likely than not that your PowerBase is still functional, and the Handlebar is functional too. Because you have a flashing green LED it seems likely that the charger (CSB) is working and your battery packs hold some energy....well, at least the front pack does while kept on charge....but after 15 years it is very unlikely they will enable the machine to start up fully or be rideable. One thing you could try immediately is removing and reinstalling the packs, and then try again to start it up.

It is OK to attach Lithium packs, as doing so will not harm your machine should its firmware have not been upgraded (it just won't fully start up, that's all). But if it hasn't been upgraded, I doubt there is any way of having this done anymore. If that is the case, you'll most likely want to track down someone with a pair of functional NiMH packs to test your machine with, prior to having your packs re-packed.

I'd wager there is a good probability that your machine has been upgraded. One clue to look for is the presence of the presence of a circular FlyGuy sticker (ie the Segway logo) with a yellow background stuck somewhere. Try lifting the grey foot mat and looking underneath, this sticker may have been attached to the stainless steel cover plate of the PowerBase. I can't speak for what the policy was in USA, but here in NZ when we upgraded Gen 1 machines we applied a yellow sticker (provided by Segway, Inc. for this very purpose).

Philip