View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
fabricGator
fabricGator is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrington View Post
I think the only way to check health is a discharge test...and internal resistance test

both a little tricky unless you can wield a soldering iron and program arduino or picmicro..

if you only check the terminal voltage whilst running a dummy load then there could be undetected fully discharged cells=bad...
Thank you dorrington, I have been lurking about your thread to glean what I can about the batteries. I am interested in repairing anything that I find expensive and useful, so knowledge of technology and process is always greatly appreciated.

I think you are implying I may be able to fabricate a test device... I am sure I could with a little guidance. And if can not, I have a retired avionics bench technician that set up at his house that owes me a favor or five...

What about a long ride though. How about if I go look at a SegWay and I can manage to ride the unit to exhaustion. What would that tell me about battery health?

I imagine that segway shut down occurs when the weakest battery fall below specifications. (or perhaps overheats)

I dunno, it seems like the big unknown when buying a used pt is going to be the batteries. And without them, you really don't have much more than an expensive coat hanger / hat rack.
fabricGator is offline   Reply With Quote