View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg
The problem with exceeding the weight limit is that your stopping distance is much greater, your range is much lower, and your ability turn sharply AND safely decreases dramatically. I don't encourage exceeding the weight limit but I also don't put folks on a scale. If I think they are over the recommeneded weight, I tell them....

FYI, I have gone over the weight limit (me, two riders, and some cargo) with not problems.

My heaviest single person rider was over 350 lbs and 6'9". I've never seen a grown man turn so pale in such a short time. The machine wasn't happy when he got on (I swear it creaked!), he was petrified, and although the the ride last 5 seconds, there is no way he was going to ever get on again.

This leads me to another phenomenon that I've noticed....very tall people are uncomfortable on the Segway. Whilst I like the extra 8 inches, the are not happy at all.

Steven
This is interesting to me... But first, I often overload my seg based on weight. I ride (210lbs) with my 6 year old (50lbs) son and 3 year old (35lb) daughter alll the time, and my right bag (with fancy lights) must weigh over 20 lbs, and we often have soccer gear and water and other items with us...

My earlier comments about weighty people was more aimed at healthy condition than just weight...

Steven's comments about height is what piqued my interest... Since I am just below 5'9", the added height does not bother me at all... A very tall person may have a different perspective...

Since the machine balances on the ground and on the bottom of the tires, and pivots from the axles, less than a foot up from the ground, a person's head (And balance sensors in the ears) will move a differing amound based on their height...

If the segway requires 2 degrees of rotation (pivot of the axle) and makes corrections based on that, a short person's head (Short arm on the inverted pendulum) will move far less than a tall person's head (Long pendulum) in the same time and that may lead to a different perception of falling...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote