Thread: A Call To Arms
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have a question.

Let's just suppose a person, Joe, has been hanging out in a neighborhood bar, fairly regularly, for about 5 years.

Every few weeks (months, whatever) he observes another guy, Sam, come in, and scope out the new people. This Sam sees someone, and tells the new person this story about a new invention that he has in his car. They talk, everyone seems happy, and eventually, the two go out to Sam's car, and Sam talks the new guy into investing in his new idea...

So far, everyone is okay.

After a while, that new guy starts talking about how Sam never followed thru, and he has not heard from him...

Not really a big deal. People make bad investments all the time, sometimes in money, sometimes in trust, sometimes in other ways.

Eventually, the new guy moves on, as people are common to do.

Weeks (months, whatever) go by and all is relatively quiet.

Then, one day, Joe notices Sam is in, scoping out all the new folks at the bar. He strikes up a conversation with one, and eventually, they wind up at Sam's car, and a new investment is made.

This new guy has a similar story and series of events transpire, as it relates to Sam.

Weeks go by. Then one day, Sam is in again, scoping out the new folks.

My question is this... Just what position does Joe take? It is not him that is getting involved. He knows that the regulars at the bar know of Sam, and they do not get involved, nor does Sam spend time with them, because they are not Sam's market.

At what point does Joe act? Or should he not? If he does, someone will get upset. If he does not, someone will get upset. If he does, he may be causing Sam some hardship. If he does not, isn't he assisting Sam to get over?

In my opinion, we live in a society where too many people say it is not their job to monitor their environment. People do not want to get involved, because it is hard, and often not appreciated. In my opinion, Joe should speak up, to help the new guy that does not even know he needs to be aware. But, that is just me.

I don't know the value of always getting along, even with those who do things you do not respect. I would rather have friends and enemies, than a world full of grey people who do not care to speak up in defense of right, or attack wrong.

I am not suggesting that people should be uncivil. I am suggesting that if you know something that may benefit another, and you let them struggle in their ignorance, it makes you a lesser person. If you attempt to enlighten them, it makes you a better person. That much I do know...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote