View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

[QUOTE=Rolacoy;221425]

I realize these two experiences do not further the goal of being able to use Segways everyplace. It seems like filing a complaint needs to be a planned thing where you are prepared to get names, dates and statements.[\ QUOTE]

This is one of the things that--as of now--one does need to be prepared for. I carry in a plastic holder along with my disability card, 3 or 4 two page printouts of relevant segway law, both title II and III. I make sure that I have a pen and a place to make a note of relevant names and dates. TIP: Take a look at the complaint form provided and know what kind of information you will need.

I now have the DOJ help line number programmed into my cell phone and would ask the question and then ask them to explain it again to the person I am dealing with. I am also prepared to call 911 to request the assistance of a police officer with ADA knowledge. And now <G> that I have a lawyer (almost) in the family, I can always mention that these ADA issues can result in lawsuits.

Having said all that does not mean that I am a raving revolutionist looking for any opportunity to make a fuss. I simply have encountered enough of this kind of ignorance in the last three years to know what I will probably need to deal with it...if and when it happens.

Simply letting someone know that I know the law and that I know I have these options can sometimes make the difference.

A couple warnings though. I would not offer to call the DOJ unless I already know the answer. It is possible to get someone there who doesn't have a clue--they are human too. I usually say at the beginning of the call that I want to talk to someone knowledgeable about segway issues. If I think a certain question might arise, I may have made such a call ahead of time so I already know what the answer should/could be. It is also possible to ask to talk to a supervisor--although I got a royal brush-off once from a supervisor--and no answer at all that time. I think they simply didn't know the answer...

Calling 911 is, in my opinion, a last resort, because in most cases this would simply not be an emergency. There are times however, when this would be the only way to get the support you need to deal with a situation.

Above all though, always keep a good store of courtesy, patience and smiles to help defuse the situation. Then file a complaint immediately if this doesn't work. Failure to do so is a dis-service to everyone involved, including the party you are dealing with... the next person may be looking for an excuse for a lawsuit!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote