View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Your i2 may have a "Cold Start" issue

Try bringing your i2 into a room that is at least 15 degrees C (59F) and leave it there long enough to warm up to room temperature (this could take many hours if it is very cold).

Try starting it without the power cord plugged in.

If it starts up, your i2 has a temperature-related issue that can be solved by replacing the Radio Board. You're probably not going to do this, but it is still possible via US Dealers, I think (assuming you are in USA).

The issue can be worked around in cold environments by plugging the PT into the power, turning it on (it will beep to tell you it is still plugged in, and shut down 15 seconds later).

Remove the power cord within 15 seconds and the PT will keep running. As long as you don't turn it off, you can now go riding in cold conditions.

After a period of time the inside of the PT will warm up due to heat from motors, current flowing through components, regenerative braking, etc. It will then become warm enough to turn off and out out in the field. How long? Maybe 15 minutes of riding. Maybe 5 mins if the weather is mild. Maybe 30 minutes if it is really cold....other members of Segway Chat might have some ideas on this.

Personally, I don't actually know. In the benign environment where I live, I experience this only only on the coldest winter days or if a PT is left in a car park outside overnight on the coldest nights with frosts (<30 per season). These PTS can self-start after 10 minutes of use. The term we use for starting them with the power cord plugged in is "Jump Starting" :-)

This issue affects PTs manufactured from late 2006 to mid-2008 (by memory, others may have more precise information on this). Many of these units had their Radio Boards replaced between mid-2008 and the end of 2009. Obviously there will be some PTs out there that did not.

Users in milder and warmer climates will never experience it, especially if their PT is stored indoors. If a PT from a warm climate is moved to a cold climate this issue may be encountered for the first time.