View Single Post
Old 01-20-2003, 02:18 PM   #33
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jgrohol

More accessories are on their way and threads like this one can help us make choices about future options available. Thank you!
Hi Jgrohol ... good to know this thread being looked at and appreciated. I like many of the ideas people have included so far.

I appreciate the fact that for the time-being, the HT needs to be marketed as a "tool" rather than a "toy," and that the primary emphasis needs to be on productivity and safety rather than the "fun/coolness" factor.

From a safety standpoint, I feel that some sort of standard lighting system is the single most important thing you guys can be developing. Let's face it, people are going to be using the HT after dark. Lighting is not only important for the rider, in being able to see the path ahead, but it's just as important for the people we'll be sharing the sidewalk with ... pedestrians. Is there a way to incorporate a thin horizonal light-emitting "slit" somewhere down low in the forward part of the platform, that would cast a distinctive "glow" over the path ahead? This would accomplish four things:

A) It would illuminate the path of travel.
B) The light would have a very low angle of incidence, thereby increasing the visibility of any debris or raised "cracks" in the path of travel.
C) It wouldn't "blind" oncoming pedestrians.
D) It would cast a glow around the feet of pedestrians walking the same direction as we approach them from behind, letting them know a Segway HT is about to pass, and keeping them from being startled.

The second most important addition from a safety standpoint (in my opinion) would be the inclusion of some sort of built-in horn or bell. Again, it would be primarily for the benefit of pedestrians we're approaching from behind, and it would be best if it had a distictive, "friendly" sound.

There are quite a few things I can think of that would lend themselves well to building the "fun/coolness" factor (and I do think that ultimately will be what sells the HT), but I'll save those for another post.

Broo

Brooster
Brooster is offline   Reply With Quote