View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #20
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I think the video was fun. I also think that there are lots of people who do not like fun. And they hate to see others having fun...

I also think there were some inappropriate things in the video for most seggers to do. I believe it was a great advertising tool, in that it shows what can be done on a segway x2, even if it should not be done.

As far as exposing the segway to unfavorable legislation, I believe that there is the potential for that. Of course, there were other unflattering videos before this, and if a person wanted to do a Google search for video to support their hatred of segs, or their love of segs, the video is already out there...

I own several mountain bikes. This video is tame. Try doing a search for some extream biking, even world class competitions on the sides of mountains, and you will have no problem finding a video that would have anti bike groups clammoring to ban bikes from town as well, if that were their intention...

I agree with the warning about making videos that make the enemies of segway have an easy time proving their point, but I am not sure if this is that video... What I see here is a bunch of off road segs doing extream segging, not unlike what the same group might do with off road bikes.

If you compare it to quad runners, the impact is much more favorable. I believe that what these guys were doing is more in that class of activity than in the commuter range. They do not tear up the trail, nor make the noise nor the smell of quad runners.

If someone wants to be negative, they will, this video or not. For us to try to fear that this video will become the "standard of behaviour" that all seggers are going to be held to is a bit overreaching.

The above is my personal opinion. Now, for my other hat...

I believe that much of the video was fine, and I was not offended by some of the drops and the like, but there were several unsafe activities that were also videoed, like the hands free drops, and some of the stair issues, as well as some time on sidewalks. These things I believe should have had a stronger warning against. There are standards of behaviour that are in the safety video, and other presentations from the manufacturer. I believe that we should adhear to those standards, or make if very clear that we are acting outside of the suggestions of the manufacturer. I think the pre warning in the front will be largely overlooked, and for some of the most extream stunts, where text was added, it would have been better to add some disclaimers as well...

SEG America does not condone nor encourage illegal nor reckless behaviour on a segway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote