View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #17
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
Jeremy, I'm not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic, and whichever may be true I'm also not sure how to answer knowing your political affiliation. I constantly try to follow the credo of "a closed mouth gathers no foot" but this thread has me going for some reason; maybe its because my county was the center of the debaucle last election, possibly because I sat through horribly partisan meetings discussing "hanging chads" and CNN trucks circling our courthouses and the like, I'm really not sure. What I am sure about is that even though our votes count (or don't as you speculate), we have MUCH bigger evils. Oil companies merging without so much as a congressional review, pharmaceutical companies lobbying to bankrupt bio-identical manufacturers, congress being bought and sold by lobbies, our healthcare professionals making less and less every year while our representatives vote themselves raises...just get me started and sit back and listen. We agree on many things and disagree on as many, so please go to SF, I'd love to debate you over a pint.
Bill, I thank you for a constructive response! I was being very serious! I agree that our votes count to an extent which is why I vote! I believe it is the responsibility not right of every American to vote and if you can vote and don't you have no right whatsoever to complain. That being said there is a time (2000) when our votes do not quite count! Any way you look at it Al Gore won the popular vote! This is the vote of the people!

I am not going to argue legitimacy anymore but Bush got (not won in my opinion because in order to win I believe you must win the popular vote) the presidency! That is simply what I meant. I meant the majority of America, in rare circumstances, can vote one man (or woman) in office and that person may not take office! In these rare cases, in my opinion, the American vote did not count! This in no way means we should not vote however! I do not know where Jupiter is, but if it is near Destin I would love to meet with you in July when I travel to Destin for my sister's wedding!

On a seperate note, I do agree with you, there are much bigger issues at stake here! I think the reason we have so many problems is that there is not enough pressure on the people we elect into the house and senate to clean up these issues! There is no reason all these issues and problems cannot be addressed and corrected! It is unacceptable! We are basically these people's boss. We "hire" them and we can "fire" them. We need to step up and let them know we will "fire" if needed!

It seems our country is in turmoil right now! Our economy is lacking, there are several issues on all aspects of the playing field! America has been in struggles before and with the right guidance we can overcome this one as we have all others! Keep that in mind when you vote for whoever you vote for, this is more than an election! This next president has the potential to make or break America as do many that follow! All empires must fall. Please keep this in mind and vote according to who you think will prevent our fall!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote