View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Folks, shopping with a shopping cart on an i2 Segway is dead simple.

The Segway is more narrow and more maneuverable than the cart.

Just push the cart, with the Segway's leansteer between your arms.

The Segway will follow the cart.

The only issue is with things that are on low shelves. Those are a pain. They're a pain without a Segway, but whatever your threshold of pain, it just moved up 8 inches.

The good news is that the "too high" threshold moves up 8 inches as well. People ask me to get things down for them all the time.

I also carry baskets, or if it's just a few items, I carry them in my hands. I also carry food trays, etc. I will use both hands if necessary and knee steer. I don't recommend doing that until you are comfortable, but it is not only quite possible, it becomes very natural.

But I've been pushing shopping carts since I first got a Segway.

You will have a little problem at the checkout stand. They design those expecting people to squeeze by their carts to unload, and the carts are uncomfortably low for unloading from a Segway.

A bit of strategy helps. First, precede your cart into the narrow area, and empty the cart from the front. Then, escape around your cart, and push from the rear, and continue unloading.

Occasionally, but not often, someone will crowd in behind you, and you'll have to ask them to move back a bit so you can get back around the cart. That's never been a problem.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote