View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
It sounds like Segway needs to be educated to the fact that their product is being used successfully as a mobility device and certainly should be included as an-other-powered mobility device. My definition of marine environment would be in or under water not on board a luxury cruise liner. Perhaps a Royal Caribbean excuse and they simply do not want Segways on board.
Marine environment might be referring to the salt air factor. And given that this is a mobility issue, I would not be sure that Inc was referring to disability safety--given their past record on this matter and the legal reasons therefore....

I've been on one cruise, Holland America to Alaska (pre Segway.) I desperately needed something and didn't have it. As far as I can see, there would have been absolutely no problems that did not have to be dealt with by any wheelchair user. That includes room size. <G>

So now the question arises:

The OP quoted the cruise line: "In accordance with Part 39 Section 93, we have completed an assessment of the Segway as an other-powered mobility device for use onboard our ships. Due to safety reasons, we have determined that Segways may not be used onboard our ships. This determination was made after consulting with the manufacturer who advised us that Segways were not designed, and are not recommended, for use in marine environments. "

The ADA rules says that they must be able to "demonstrate" that their rules are based on safety or disruption issues. In what way is "marine environment" a safety issue given the length of most cruises? When, how, to whom and by whom does this demonstrating have to be offered? What safety considerations are at stake? What studies can they offer to support this assertion? What kind of testing did they do in that assessment?

The questions go on and one. Is it going to take a whole bunch of lawsuits to clarify, let alone resolve any of this?

Boy, I hate being a cynic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote