View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Segway Golf is about 10% of sales here in NZ

I remember selling a few first-generation Segway GTs, around 10 units or so. People really liked them because they were relatively small and light. Most courses permitted them, at least in dry weather. This would be about 10% of the ~125 units that I imported.

The Gen2 x2 Golf was a much more substantial machine - wider and heavier. So taking it from course to course took a little more effort. But in some respects it was safer with its very wide wheels. The green keepers loved the x2 Golf because it could be used on days when no other vechiles could be used (not even 6 or 8 wheeled 'gators) - it really is that lightweight on the ground when gliding over the wet fairways. We actually did a 6 week trial on Auckland's wettest course in winter, and the 3 x2 Golfs could operate on most days during the period without doing damage.

The primary objection we ran into here in New Zealand between 2008 and ~2012 was, well, a global recession, and also strong push-back from golf cart companies. The staff at the Pro Shops were never too keen to hire out x2 Golfs. It is easy for a busy Pro Shop staff to toss keys to a golf cart to anyone, but hiring a PT needs training. One thing we tried to improve this situation was provide free, short lessons for 3 weeks during introduction, to upskill members.

I think this product will become easier to sell in the future, as more people already know how to ride self-balancing machines.

Currently, for private sales, the golf model is still about 10% of sales to private individuals. Our business configures new x2 SE Turf units with lightly used and reconditions Golf kits from x2 Golf units.

For a future x2 SE Golf version, I feel the front bar needs to reshaped similar to the structural frame used on the e167 (but turned upside down). This would keep the front of the machine entirely open for unexpected dismounts off the front, while maintaining a stiff link between both side frames. Also, recutting the gearboxe gear ratios down for a top speed of ~16 km/h to boost torque by ~20% for hillier courses. We found heavier, older golfers with lots of clubs sometimes struggled on certain courses.

Last edited by Philip; 08-11-2019 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Changed type ("5"==>"%")
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote