View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
dave
dave is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Santa Monica considering banning Segways

I just noticed in an article about Santa Monica's setting up license programs with companies that operate dock less electric scooter rental programs on sidewalks, parks, and other city owned property. These include Bird, LimeBike, Jump (owned by Uber), and Lyft scooter companies.

The article goes into great detail about the scooters, license fees, etc. At the end of the article is that there will also be a ban on operating mobility devices on bike paths, sidewalks, and parks.

I then found the following on the Santa Monica website: Note that "Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device" is a legal term referring to a Segway, so they don't have to use a particular brand name.

From the Santa Monica City Council meeting of 08/28/2018:

7.E. Introduction and First Reading of an Ordinance amending Sections 3.12, 4.55.065, and 10.08.460 of the Santa Monica Municipal Code to Clarify Traffic Regulations Pertaining to the Operation of Electric Bicycle, Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices, Electrically Motorized Boards, Low Speed Vehicles, and Motorized Scooters - Item 7.E and 8.A to be heard concurrently

Recommended Action

Staff recommends that the City Council introduce for first reading the attached ordinance amending Santa Monica Municipal Code Chapter 3.12, and Sections 4.55.065, and 10.08.460 to clarify traffic regulations pertaining to the operation of electric bicycles, electric personal mobility devices, electrically motorized boards, low speed vehicles and motorized scooters.

ACTION: Introduced for first reading.

8. STAFF ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS

8.A. Use of Public Property Fees for Shared Mobility Devices - Item 7.E and 8.A to be heard concurrently

Recommended Action

Staff recommends that the City Council adopt a Resolution establishing a Shared
Mobility Use of Public Right of Way fee (Attachment A).

I could not find "Attachment A" on the website.

Last edited by dave; 09-18-2018 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: correction of a typo and formatting
dave is offline   Reply With Quote