View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #30
MacJeepster
MacJeepster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Three things I would look into when considering between an Airwheel or a full size Segway:

1. Weight - as you say you have to lug it up a half flight of stairs.
2. Cost of replacement batteries.
3. Safety and durability.
These are all important, I'll take them one at a time.
1. With the handle detached, it appears to weigh 78 pounds, much heavier than the Ninebot MiniPro (and the Airwheel S3). At the gym Tuesday, I picked up a pair of 40-pound dumbbells, and I'm sure I can lift it into the trunk, and as Duke pointed out, I should be able to use the scooter to help itself get up the half-flight of stairs.
2.It uses an assemblage of standard lithium batteries, that I can get from many sources. They claim they should last 5 years.
3. Ah... Safety, that's why I ditched the min I expect it to be better with the S5's much greater power and weight and big wheels, It's gotta be safer. As for durability, time will tell. Airwheel doesn't have the 16-year track record Segway has. One feature I think will increase its durability is that it has no gears to break or sap mechanical energy; it has two motors and each wheel is part of a motor. Since the engineering is a nearly two decades newer, I'm hoping that will be a plus, too.
That all said, I really wish I could've tried it out before buying. Fortunately, I got it used for an excellent price. If it doesn't suit, I'm sure I can resell it; maybe even make a small profit.
MacJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote