View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #17
bottleworks
bottleworks is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
I am also happy to have a new supply for i167/i180/I2/X2 transporter parts.

I do wonder why a company took the time to design new products, purchase tooling, perform product testing, and set up an automated line... for replacement parts for discontinued products, which sold perhaps 140,000-150,000 units over 18-19 years. How many customers are looking for replacement batteries? I would like to understand YanYang's business model. Either the market is much larger than I think, or perhaps it's my failure to understand how inexpensive it must be to do such things in China.

However, I think it is wise to have one's technical ducks in a row if you are going to advertise on a site with Segway-knowledgeable people. Technical questions are certain to arise.
\
Regarding original BMS boards, is there a shortage? There are no new ones, I think, but every dead Segway battery has a BMS, and it is far more likely that the lithium-ion cell(s) failed, not the BMS.

If you have an original Segway battery with a bad BMS, would a third-party replacement board even work properly with the original lithium-ion cells, or with whatever unspecified replacement cells someone might choose?

Personally, knowing how much energy there is in a Segway battery, I would want to be VERY sure the BMS is doing the right thing.

Maybe MTO Battery could comment on these products!
MTO isn't the only one! There's no need to be so negative.

If you have a battery which has leaked, then the BMS boards are going to fail post rebuilt or has already failed.
Core batteries with Rev AF or newer are now very hard to find. That's only a rule of thumb. If the batteries have leaked, then the death timer is running on that bms. If will fail. It will fail in such a manner to drain down all the cells and ruin them.

At this point, rebuilds are going to have a strong chance of needing cells and a BMS. It's nice to have an option.