View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
The original dot com is still showing as registered to Frank. The registrar is Tucows, which is a pretty decent company. If Frank asked them to, he could probably get them to place an .htaccess file on the root of the domain that does a permanent or temporary redirect straight to the new domain.
Unfortunately, that wouldn't actually accomplish anything. In order for a redirect to work -- your browser has to actually first contact the old address. The current situation prevents that from happening -- the browsers are being told the domain doesn't even exist.

(When you talk about putting an .htaccess file "on the root of the domain", there's a confusion of terminology here. You're talking about configuring the server for HTTP service on the domain. The problem here lies with the DNS service that is used to locate the server. When the browser contacts whatever domain server your computer is configured to use (typically supplied by your ISP), it, in turn, asks the .com servers where to find the domain. They are responding that the domain does not exist (NXDOMAIN). That is, the domain name itself is gone. That has to be turned back on by TuCows (or the domain transferred to another registrar, who then inform the .com servers what domain name servers supply the actual server location.

They'll do that -- for the price of a domain renewal, which is what it is.)

The only way to to fix this is to renew the domain name. I have no idea of what Frank's situation is or what the holdup would be, but if it's technical knowledge that's needed, I can help. But TuCows's support will be in a better position to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
I wonder how many others are still waiting for someone to get their stuff together and fix the site's problem, whatever it is? I couldn't imagine doing something like this to my forum members.

Jim
Agreed. I've posted the new location where I can, but that doesn't help very much. We've seen what, four people post since? I don't think any of them have been clued in by me. I may have directed some readers here, but with no traffic to respond to, well, we've dropped far below critical mass.

ANY disruption in service puts a dent in a site's reputation. A long enough one will basically kill it.

Where we stand on that is hard to predict, but certainly, the longer it goes unaddressed, the more the damage.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.