View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #30
msw4chl
msw4chl is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default Segway miniPro/miniLITE/Ninebot S as an assistive mobility device what should I carry

What should I or others who I work with from our area Light EV group, carry when using a Segway, or a HoverKart, or escooter, as an assistive mobility device?

We had NO problem using a HoverKart, a kit that adds a 3rd wheel and a seat to a HoverBoard, in and around Raleigh and other cities in Central NC. BUT when a friend and I went to a Central NC museum, I had an obvious knee brace and after brief discussion with a manager, I was able to take my Ninebot S into the museum.

My friend who is walking unsteadily with a cane, was not able to take his miniLITE into the museum, so once inside we took turns. He actually needs the mobility device more than I did.

What should we carry with us to minimize complaints? A copy of a handicapped parking permit for a car? (We did have one of those for my friend.)

Mobility scooters are wonderful. But friends who have tried our Light EV club's HoverKarts, of if they can stand, a miniPro/miniLITE/Ninebot S with a handlebar replacing the knee controls, find the Segway/HoverKart much more flexible and a lot more fun!

Thank you for all these stories of what to do to complain about lack of ADA compliance. For Segways or HoverKarts as replacements for mobility scooters what do we need to carry as proof that this is the reason for accepting these as Light EV Assistive Devices?
msw4chl is offline   Reply With Quote