View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #118
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
As Karl stated, the infokey will still show speed based on wheel rpm, but because the circumference of the bigger tires is greater than stock size, you are actually going faster at the same rpm. Performance seems otherwise relatively unaffected, maybe a little slower to accelerate, but barely noticeable. The machine is taller, so better ground clearance. For comfort and traction, I stay with the 4-5 psi. If I need maximum range, I increase it to almost 10 psi.

I only use this configuration for off-road or other open spaces, as it is much too large to mix with urban conditions, doorways, and many spaces. For that, I convert it back to i2 configuration.
Thanks, Pete.

I've noticed that since the tire change that the InfoKey speed appears to be false and I am thinking of utilizing a GPS to get a better figure. From your earlier statement, if I calculated properly; the former top speed of 12.5 mph is increased by 5% difference in circumference, then the new top speed should approach 13.125 mph. Doesn't seem like much, but I feel like I'm gliding like the wind now.

Also, one of my Li-Ion is an original which is now 7 years old (the other is 5+ year old MTO refresh through my Dealer) so there is definitely a reduced performance expectation added to the tire size change. I figure it's a combination of old Li-Ions and the larger size tires that are reducing uphill performance, though it's my belief that downhill and straightaway, slight decline, performance has been enhanced.

As to psi, the new setup includes tubes and is around 8-9psi which is higher then what I ran before but provides longer distance. For a comfy ride, I found that the 3-4psi number was the best for all-terrain gliding and what I use most.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote