View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 04:20 AM   #37
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

If all you are looking for is a way to get from A to B (with maybe some public transport involved) then the folding Brompton would certainly be an option - a fine option for many people. But not nearly as interesting or fun as something a bit more 'gadgety'. There are pros and cons for both and we have debated these when considering a bicycle versus a Segway, many times over the years. In this instance, the turning circle of the Airwheel is much bigger than the Segway - but probably smaller than a bicycle. Top speed is less than a bicycle and a Segway but still much quicker than walking. The range is infinitely less than a bicycle and most models offer less range than a Gen2 Segway, but there is much less exertion involved on the Airwheel than a bicycle (about the same as a Segway, once mastered) and practically no folding to be done. It's smaller and lighter than a Segway but less suited to people who need more stabilisation. And of course, as I'm finding, it is taking time to learn. A Segway was very quick for me. Can't recall how long it took me to learn a bicycle! The new Airwheel/Solowheel models posted by Luckie look really cool - especially the Orbit