View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
BoscoBob
BoscoBob is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
I am interested in purchasing the IRC tires and or the MFG "enhanced traction" type, but have a few questions.
My tires are originals, and though I'm disabled I do enjoy the challenge of riding the dirt and sandy trails up in the foothills near my home. My old tires are slipping if I'm not extremely careful. What can I expect from a new set of better tires?

1. How do they do indoors on smooth clean floors as regards squeaks and leaving marks? I often use my machine in malls and stores and even art museums.

2. I watched the video on Youtube for installing them, but suspect I don't have the dexterity or strength to complete the change to my own rims. Local bicycle and auto shops won't even try to change a Segway tire. (friend attempted) Suggestions where to buy or swap a set with my old ones?

3. Do they require a tube on ALL machines?

4. Can they be slimed? We have goat head spiky plants here that puncture everything in site but the green slime prevents this.

Jim
I can address the first question: My IRC tires squeak less than my original tires. Grip is fantastic. My local store is all linoleum and not a single mark. I do notice that they will leave tracks, more than the originals, when wet. They will grab area rugs and entry rugs if a turn is made.

I have tubes in my tire, no slime. The rubber seems "harder" and I worry less about punctures, although we do not have the evil goat's head stickers here (does small blessing after remembering barefoot in a patch of those @#%!ers).

I have noticed range is decreased due to higher rolling resistance. I run them at 22PSI which seems to help and still gives a decent ride.