View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

This is sort of an how many angels can dance on the head of a pin question, IMHO.

From what I've read (since I don't know the parties involved personally), these were gifts received from others during the presidency, and assumed by them to belong to them. The Repubs made a heyday out of it, as I recall. And the media, which was not particularly pro-Clinton by that time. Of course, the media usually looks for any kind of "fight" for a story. In later years, the truth has become less important than the emotional value of the piece.

I have read that the "w" keys was proven to be a falsehood. Questioned by an aquiescent media (was Jeff Gannon in the media group at that time??? He was well known for his softballs) and hedged artfully by the press secretary at the time. I do remember seeing the press interview with Fleischer at the time, and I recall being sorta surprised that there was no real yes or no answer, just a "we're above it and not going to worry about it" kind of response.

Pam

Last edited by pam; 02-09-2008 at 05:57 PM..
pam is offline   Reply With Quote