View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
X19_fred
X19_fred is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Gearbox repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
... Do you have a value or cost to these repairs you could offer?
... Would you be available to repair these transmissions for others?
Hi Karl,

thanks for your very positive feedback!

My costs for the gearbox repair have been approximate 50$ per gearbox:
  1. 1 outer bearing ~20$
  2. 1 sealing ring ~7$
  3. 1 inner bearing ~15$
  4. 1 inner bearing ring ~8$
I used standard parts from SKF (Made in Italy!!!)

... and I needed some time on the center lathe producing adapters for the hydraulic press and had to shape the axle for the new inner ring.

... and some tools I had to buy too:
  1. a Torx Plus 27 1/4" bit (TXP27) ~ 5$.
  2. a small 10ton hydraulic press ~400$
  3. a inner bearing puller set ~ 90$
  4. a center lathe I already had...

... and some more: new Gearbox oil - I suspect Segway is using Kluebersynth GH 6 -32 but I take Castrol Syntrans FE 75W 1Liter 30$

All this is based on the gearboxes I have checked - the broken hub was some additional work I could solve with my TIG Welder.

But other gearboxes may have other faults:
If the gears are bad, I can't repair it.
If the housing is broken, I can't repair it.

So to answer your 2nd question: Yes I would like to repair gearboxes for others!

BUT NOT NOW!!!!

First, I have to be sure my repair was successful - I am still testing my repaired gearbox pair. I don't want to sell bad work!

Second, I have to think about the procedure - there are some problems to solve like shipping, customs tax, having repaired gearboxes on stock to exchange it or repair the shipped one, ...

Third, I have to check how I can do this job legally. I am an employee of a telecom company and opening an additional gearbox repair business is of course a violation of some silly Austrian laws here...

If somebody needs a gearbox repair now, the best would be to go to a local automotive body or gearbox shop, show my pictures and ask for the cost.
I think anybody who is able to overhaul an automotive gearbox can do a Segway gearbox.

... I have 2 more gearboxes to repair, so more detailed pictures will come in an other thread...

Happy gliding,
Alfred