Old 02-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Every six (6) or so hours . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
Hi folks -

I've searched the forums a bunch trying to educate myself, and I see many references to using a clock timer for charging.

I get the theory behind it, and why it makes sense... but my question is; how long should I set it for?

I have a "new to me" 2015MY i2 SE (that just had its charging board replaced, in full disclosure.) Batts are 3 years old at this point and seem quite hearty - I'd like to keep them that way as long as possible.

Given that it's winter, cold and miserable here in New Jersey, I'm not riding much -- maybe a quick trip once every week or two right now, so the batteries are fully charged and not likely to discharge quickly anytime soon. But once springtime gets here, I expect to use it frequently.

So does anyone have a recommended "schedule" for a clock-timer? Right now I have it set for 12-hours on charge, 12-hours off charge. But I think 12 hours per day is probably excessive, especially given that it's fully charged right now.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
My schedule is about every four to six hours on, then off for same. Recommendations from MTO are that the batteries are charged best if they are "cycled" on/off over a period of time. Re-starting the charge cycle has benefits. I have the infamous "Red Light / Green Light" gremlin and its better for the system to restart the charge cycle every now and then rather than a long period that basically (may) leave the batteries at full charge with Green blinking lights.

I commute with Trigger so my charge cycle is ON early AM, mid afternoon and early evening. Off at other times.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote