View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default How do we police ourselves?

There have been lots of different positions taken on this forum about how to deal with people who are posting inaccurate, or very subjective information, and insisting it is germane, or representative of something else...

This often degrades into some sort of flame war, name calling and other unsavory barbs going in all directions.

Good people have advised that to discuss the topic, or question the postings or posters, or even participate is bad for the forum, or degrades us all.

I have a problem with letting a lie lay. I find a statement that is wrong needs to be challenged. I do this with regularity. OF course, there are also problems in doing this. Many do not care for the confrontations, and would choose another path.

This is not specifically about any particular topic or poster, as it is a recurring theme. Some will not agree, as is always the case, but those of us who have been on this site for some time have seen this come and go often.

I do not shy away from confrontation. I do not care. If a person lies to me, or in my presence (even in front of me on line) then I generally challenge it, and do not turn the other cheek.

Good people, many that I respect, advise me and others to take a different route.

How do we feel as a forum community?

Is there a way to label a thread to warn those who may not want to expose themselves to the acrimony, or read the controversial? Perhaps some sort of icon on the thread that indicates it contains some controversial material? I am not a fan of censorship, and feel that often there is good that eventually comes from these threads, but they are a chore to wade thru sometime.

What say you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote