View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Curious to know what the technology is behind programming these.
I dont see any ibuttons inside this key (see pic), perhaps its hidden in between the circuit board and the lcd display. I doubt it. I thought it was bluetooth?

Whatever it is, I can't believe it's been in the marketplace for over 10 years and hasn't been hacked.
It's not Bluetooth - It's a proprietary communications system developed by Segway and only used by them - The programmer communicates with the Infokey using that protocol

As Vince at Texas Segway told me, you need a special machine to program InfoKeys and you lease it annually from Segway . . . . and the lease ain't cheap
- You gotta be programming many keys to make it worthwhile.

He's gotta have your Segway serial number to input into the machine and I *think* the process checks the serial number against a known list of stolen machines, updated regularly by Segway.

He also told me that the spring clips which each button uses are one part which cannot be bought from Segway, so he has a bunch of defective Infokeys he robs parts from to repair customer units - The one I sent him had two buttons which needed new spring clips

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote