View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #29
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_walters View Post
In regards to displaying images on a screen, a size in inches means nothing. That would only apply in a desktop publishing type environment where you plan on printing it. Then you have to get into DPI, dithering, half-toneing, etc.
Sure. But I inferred (incorrectly) that the limit was in inches, and then the software automatically created a "normal" with some sort of default dimensions (in pixels, of course). My mistake - but with no "published" information, how would I know? The only "documentation" in this thread refers to the "thumb" and "normal" images, and links to the uploaded image. One could reasonably "assume" that Coppermine would take care of the details in some uniform fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_walters View Post
For images primarily intended for display on a monitor, size in pixels is really all that matters. That and with jpeg's, compression levels. Any program should let you specify a size in pixels while saving.

I don't know exactly what the limits are, but I know 2048kb (2 meg) is a size limit. There may be a width / height limit (in pixels) as well, I'm not sure.
My programs all let me specify the size in pixels. So, I'm asking what to specify, and what effects there are, and so forth.

Thanks for the information on the 2048kb limit. But...

I am now reasonably certain that there is a width and/or height limit of some sort. At least as it relates to whether a "normal" is generated.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote