View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Patent coverage does not change with ownership of the patents. Besides the USA, I don't know where else Segway patents may have been filed.

You are correct that patents are difficult or impossible to enforce in some countries. China has disrespected intellectual property rights for a LONG time, and I am pretty certain that manufacturers there have nothing to fear from US or European patents.

As I recall, however, US Customs is now involved, and anyone expecting delivery of a self-balancing device that allegedly violates Segway's patents might be disappointed. Perhaps AirWheel doesn't use any Segway intellectual property, or perhaps they have a license for use from Segway. I read an article that said they were moving production to Europe, which suggests to me that they don't think they have a patent problem.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote