View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
This comment was made in jest. Wal-Mart DOES suck (IMO), but shutting it down overnight would not be appropriate either.
The way our economy works in retail, is that people express their opinions with their pocketbooks. If someone likes something, or some place, they spend their money there.

It works with restaurants, as an example. Small high service, high quality restaurants can survive right next to fast food, because people have the opportunity to spend their money, and buy what they want. Many people only care about a big pile of food, others prefer food of a certain value, in an environment that pleases them.

It also works in retail. Neiman Marcus and Walmart both sell socks and underwear, and both have their markets.

If a person does not like Walmart, they can tell us here, and they can tell Walmart by not shopping there. I am pretty sure that there are several people here who do both (talk about not shopping there, and not shopping there), but there are huge amounts of people who do shop there, and do not care about many of the arguments against Walmart.

Shopping at Walmart does not appeal to me, so it is not a common thing for me to do. I prefer a store with a better level of customer service, and products of a better quality, as a general rule. But if I am looking for a 2 liter bottle of coke, I am not opposed to buying it there. (I would not make a trip there for that, but it is not because of some political opposition to that store)

I think we need to face the fact that there are plenty of people who do shop there, and like it better than other places. Perhaps they feel that price beats all other considerations, and that is their right. I would not begrudge them that.

I find it curious that I am here defending Walmart, since I do not care to shop there. And they do not need my defense, as they laugh all the way to the bank at those who rail against them.

This is a great land, and there is room for all kinds of people to live out all kinds of life plans. Many people include the need to proselytize others as part of their plan. Good for them. I do it regarding segways from time to time as well.

As a general rule, I am not a large fan of a small group imposing their will on a large group. I see the people who want to outlaw Walmart as this kind of situation.

In nearby Boston, the mayor stepped in and denied a permit for a Walmart to take over an abandoned strip mall to make one of their stores. He said he did not want that kind of establishment in that depressed part of town. He preferred Mom and Pop stores. Walmart did not build, and neither did the Mom and Pops. That strip mall is still vacant and terrible looking and the new Walmart is open less than a mile down the road, just across the town line. It seems to be doing a thriving business, and has hired hundreds of people. I guess eventually, everyone gets what they make happen to happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote