View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricisom View Post
I believe that they can be good for us. I think that they will both bring down the price thereby promoting greater use by a larger amount of people. If that happens maybe Dean K's prediction of mass use will come true. What do you think?
Pricing is an important factor, but not the only one.

If the copies have some safety compromises, like the Q scooter did, then it dilutes the brand in a negative way, and can even inspire inappropriate legislation. In that case, knockoffs are very bad.

Of course, the term knock off is a pretty subjective one as well. I often see an Asian car that I believe is a knock off of a European design, as an example. I have seen this in both Japanese cars, and Korean cars, that look similar and appeal to similar markets to German or British cars. Some of these knock-offs are as good or close to the original, and while the some may not like them, they may be good for the market, and for the consumer. Some are even better copies than the original. And often for a better price. In this case, the consumer wins, and as long as it does not drive the competitors out of business, it is good.

So, I have to agree with post 2 above, in general competition can be good, but I do not always see 'knock-offs' as competition.

Does anyone really think a Rolex purchased from a man on a street corner in Time Square is doing the watch market a service? Maybe for the consumer who wants a certain look, and does not care about the function. Not for most however...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote