View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Originally Posted by homey
makes an argument for bringing back the Gen1's. i don't see the elderly as comfortable with lean steer do you?

Bob.Kerns:
I dunno, my mother seems pretty comfortable. Maybe she'll chime in.

Most people don't have too much trouble with lateral stability. There are those who do, but it's generally not from being elderly. For some of them, the Gen 1 can help, as can a seat on a Gen 2.

I still think an attachment to help these people with a Gen 2 would be feasible. Maybe a handle to hang onto on one side, as they steer with the other?

I think it would take some experimentation to find what really works for both Segway and Glider.
Yes, I'm elderly. I've never been on the Gen 1, but I love the Gen 2. It is very instinctive, I don't have to think about how to make it move or turn. It is very natural--I find myself pretty much dancing my way...

I think this is a very personal matter and what works for one would not necessarily be right for another, but I would start someone on a gen 2 and then go to something more rigid if necessary.

As for seats, I now have one but have not had time to really get used to it and I'll post more about that a bit later. I will say this, however, there is a learning curve. I suspect that starting with a seat if that is what you need would be easier than to adjust to the differences after being accustomed to the freedom of normal gliding. I will add that this seat makes you very stable. I have trouble writing a check while standing, but on the seat--no problem...

More later....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote