View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

My understanding of the 100 pound minimum weight is a factor of control, not the sensors. (The sensors will depress with just a few pounds pressure)

The machine weighs about 100 pounds, and the rider must be able to use their weight to move or stop the machine. If you weigh too little, you will simply follow the mass of the machine, rather than have it follow the mass of your body.

I have had people under 100 pounds on my machines often, but they have to move far more to control the machine than I. At 200 plus pounds, if I have my feet set, and just lean my upper body fore or aft, the machine responds.

When my son was on the machine, I had him place one foot forward of the other, so he could shift more weight onto his forward foot to go forward, and to the rearward foot to slow down or reverse.

It is all pretty manageable, but the less you weigh, the harder you have to work. When I had a smaller person on the machine, they had to shuffle forward to make it go, and shuffle rearward to make it stop. That was a very short demo...

One advantage to a horse over a segway, is that if you tell it to walk into a wall, it will most likely stop. A segway will not. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

All that said, I believe this is a laudable effort, and I wish you success.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote