View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
I look at it the other way. It is extremely common in the electronic cigarette industry for an American machine shop to create a highly sought-after mod (essentially a nicely machined metal tube) and charge over $300 for it. They will have a huge waiting list, and most interested parties will be unable to obtain one. A chinese shop can create a near identical clone, produce thousands of them per week, and sell them for $60 dollars.

The core technology of the Segway hasn't changed in nearly 13 years. The price has only gone up. A PT cost ~$5000 after its wide public release, and still costs that much. Can you think of any other piece of digital technology that follows the same (lack of) price curve over time?

I have no doubt in my mind that there are thousands of people in China as smart as the engineers remaining at Segway Inc., and there are certainly people who are better at sales and marketing than ANYBODY at Segway Inc. Segway has demonstrated that they make no real effort to improve their technology, improve their production costs, or improve their marketing.
And you wonder why there is no middle class anymore...Great explanation....

Why pay someone $15 an hour when I can go abroad and pay children $15 for a weeks work....

Its called the hollowing out of the American middle class....To bad that cant be said about Toyota, Honda, or any of the South Korean company's.. They charge the same for an American car...except the profits and jobs get taken away from the UAW...