View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
I'd want to be sure the response time is quick enough. Falls happen pretty fast... I wasn't quite sure from the video.
If it is true airbag technology, I can only imagine that impact times in a car are shorter than from a bike or segway, as the distance to have you hit the dashboard or windshield are shorter in a car than the distance for you to hit the ground from a bike or segway, and the speeds are greater, making the time shorter.

OF course, being hit by a fast moving car may take that difference away.

And, trigger function and location is a factor.

Still, I would think that speed is not as much a factor as the fact that in a car, each airbag is pretty much designed to react to one single movement. I have several in my car, front airbags for both driver and passenger, side bags, pillar bags and the like. All designed to pad the hard structure from the approaching soft person.

This bag is different. It is designed to inflate to a specific shape, cradle the head, and travel with the soft person toward the hard structure. I do not know how this will work, relative to the previous examples.

Also, the range of motion for the head position in the nano seconds after an impact are very different than the relative position for that persons head and the dashboard. If the person's head is far back, (as if they are looking up at the sky) will the bag inflate the same as if their head is down and right (as if they are looking at their right foot) ? I would like to know more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.