View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #18
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I'll agree to disagree. I do honestly think that this presidency will be reguarded historically as great and also as tainted. I do not care to elaborate over a post (but I am happy to do the same at a pub over a pint). Politics are tricky and its hard not to tick people off, we all have our most important thing that the government just doesn't seem to give a **** about, so there is no sense in ruffling feathers. This is all the reason you should come to SF...imagine you and Karl & I arguing politics! I can't really think of a better reason to attend!! I think we've gone off kilter even for this off topic, so if you'd care to adress me via PM I am all ears and guns-a-blazin, but let's just keep any political response amongst ourselves if thats ok with you. Above all tho, peace. +B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
Bill, I thank you for a constructive response! I was being very serious! I agree that our votes count to an extent which is why I vote! I believe it is the responsibility not right of every American to vote and if you can vote and don't you have no right whatsoever to complain. That being said there is a time (2000) when our votes do not quite count! Any way you look at it Al Gore won the popular vote! This is the vote of the people!

I am not going to argue legitimacy anymore but Bush got (not won in my opinion because in order to win I believe you must win the popular vote) the presidency! That is simply what I meant. I meant the majority of America, in rare circumstances, can vote one man (or woman) in office and that person may not take office! In these rare cases, in my opinion, the American vote did not count! This in no way means we should not vote however! I do not know where Jupiter is, but if it is near Destin I would love to meet with you in July when I travel to Destin for my sister's wedding!

On a seperate note, I do agree with you, there are much bigger issues at stake here! I think the reason we have so many problems is that there is not enough pressure on the people we elect into the house and senate to clean up these issues! There is no reason all these issues and problems cannot be addressed and corrected! It is unacceptable! We are basically these people's boss. We "hire" them and we can "fire" them. We need to step up and let them know we will "fire" if needed!

It seems our country is in turmoil right now! Our economy is lacking, there are several issues on all aspects of the playing field! America has been in struggles before and with the right guidance we can overcome this one as we have all others! Keep that in mind when you vote for whoever you vote for, this is more than an election! This next president has the potential to make or break America as do many that follow! All empires must fall. Please keep this in mind and vote according to who you think will prevent our fall!

Jeremy Ryan

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote