View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
They seemed excited about the belt drive, instead of a chain. You seem to be somewhat of a sprocket headed fellow, how do you feel about this? Is it significant?

My question with it would be that of gearing. Most bike gearing I know of simply consists of a series of sprocket of varying sizes, and a device that moves the chain laterally. I suppose a similar arrangement could be in place for a toothed belt, but they do not work the same, so I suspect not.

I do recall a 3 speed axle/transmission that existed on some bikes of my youth, but I do not recall ever owning one, nor taking one apart. I suppose that may be in play here, or something like it.

A single speed bike seems less than efficient for today's commuter, though it would still work okay, especially with the electric assist for the up hills.
The brochure indicates it does have a 3-speed hub.

3-speed hubs are pretty solid technology these days -- they make hubs with a lot more speeds than that. But the classic 3-speed hub is based on planetary gears, with a clutch mechanism varying whether the drive is applied to the housing, the sun gear, or the planetary carrier.

I don't know if it was the very first, but Sturmy-Archer's patent was granted in 1902. It was old technology when we were kids. And certainly more reliable and robust than derailleurs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.