View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member
Default Acceptable usage of language

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
I'll link it[/URL] instead of putting it inline incase anyone is offended at the word "godd***"
I think I need to break this post out for a side bar.

Lemme give you a piece of background material first so you can see where this particular piece of self censorship caught my eye.

I play a popular video game; a lot. In fact I run a small group of about 40ish people that play the game which consists of about 10 million players world-wide. So yeah, I get it -- we can see a lot of people from different backgrounds. The game is a fantasy game and essentially about killing your opponents. We stab them with swords, use dark magic and in my particular case I control demons that fight along side of me. People die, we laugh at them. Good times.

To coordinate all this, we use a VOIP system so we can all talk, listen and joke about various aspects of the game. Occasionally a profanity is spoken; "F***, did you see that guy get ****ed up the *** when we came around the corner?" Anyone that is concerned at all about this language spilling over into earshot of their family generally wears headphones.

Recently, we had a guy that we had been leveling up and working with to make him better, leave our group due to language issues. Not the F-bomb or anything you normally wouldn't hear on TV, but rather the phrase "g-- damn" (which the FCC takes no opinion on and is frequently used on TV with no issues whatsoever [unless you're Sally Fields]).

Now, I could see this if we were in church or even a openly public setting where an (in my opinion) conservative person might not want to be exposed to things like that, but remember the circumstances here. He was offended that we were using the "lord's name in vain". So, just to contrast, while in hellphish's quote he has written "godd***", I've written "g-- damn", which brings me back to what triggered this off-topic post to begin with. BTW, yes, I am sensitive to certain religious teachings in which the name of the deity can't be written on anything non-permanent which is why I generally use my version if I'm concerned at all.

Comments?

Is the guy nuts to expect people to conform to his standards or are we insensitive for using the phrase under these circumstances?

Last edited by quade; 01-30-2008 at 06:39 PM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote