View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default RE: Kansas City Zoo

Quote:
We were welcomed at Swope Park Zoo in Kansas City and it was a great glide. We had no trouble, the crowd was light. The terrain was sometimes slightly rough sometimes. After we left the soo we were told that Segways were not allowed. It seems that they had Segway rentals at one time. That must have been fun to watch. It seems that everyone is afraid of a Segway, but not golf carts, powered wheelchairs, etc.

Here are my questions:
• Has anyone filed a complaint against the Swope Park Zoo or Silver dollar City?
• Have any of you been at either one of these places?
I have not been to the KC zoo, but I have had dealings with the Springfield MO zoo. It started with the City Park board who asked me to do a ride through with the zoo director before they acknowledged the use of a Segway on city trails (This was before ADA 2010 but with MO EPAMD law in effect.) No problem.

I had more fun watching him in his golf cart watching me follow him. The areas of his concern: a place where the path sloped a bit sideways; a board walk bridge; a hill with switchbacks and a very steep hill which could be avoided by wheelchairs, but he asked if I would take it. I sailed up, swirled at the top, came half way down, backed up a ways and came on down--I know, showing off! <G> The crowning area of concern, however, was a spot with a steep drop off where they were worried that I might fall over the railing. Now on the Seg I am about 6' 5". I told him that and asked if they planned to ban all basketball players.....

If anyone has trouble with a zoo refer them to this news item.
http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/...ws_7m1zoo.html

It deals with liability waivers, not Segways, but shows what can be accomplished. ADA Lawsuit with San Diego Zoo Settled
Rick and Gladys Celebrate. San Diego Zoological Society Settles Case Alleging Discriminatory Entrance Policy for People with Mobility Disabilities at the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park
SAN DIEGO (NOVEMBER 29, 2006)
The article also refers to hills--if they claim that as a problem, refer to them to the YouTube video of a Segway going up the steepest street in
the world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote