View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Regarding Segway's requirement to use new, or formally remanufactured, parts for repair; this is consistent with every car dealer's repair department, and every independent auto mechanic I have ever dealt with.

There is legal liability with every repair, and the risk goes up significantly by using unknown parts. Imagine a court trial for injury, and the repair company telling a magistrate that they were not sure whether the replacement part was actually good. It's bad enough with new/reman parts. At one point in my career, I performed on-the-road testing of automotive electronic controls and sensors returned from the field as failed. The vast majority had "no trouble found", after hundreds of miles of testing. HOWEVER, the legal department (of the Fortune 50 company that I worked for) told us that if we ever got in an accident while testing this stuff, and someone got hurt and went to court, the company "would pay the plaintiff. $10 million. $20 million. Just to avoid the court judgment". That's a quote that I have never forgotten.

In addition, as other posters have mentioned, "real" Segs (Gen1 & Gen2) have redundancy on almost every part. Other companies skip the cost of redundancy, but at the risk (probability) of eventual face plant.

Without redundancy, a tourist service had better have very good liability insurance.

Last edited by Civicsman; 09-25-2019 at 10:17 AM..
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote