View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
ryan_walters
ryan_walters will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Could he end the flight by catching it in his hand? That would have been the ultimate finish.
Yes, we actually do this quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
My understanding is that, when a model is called a "3D" model it means the propeller's thrust at full throttle is greater than the weight of the aircraft.
You're right. A very good power to weight ratio really helps 3d flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
Many kinds of flight stabilization equipment is now available for model planes such as this. A rate gyro can be wired into the aileron's, rudder's, or elevator's, (or various combinations) servo circuit to allow for more stable flight control and precise aerobatics.

Almost like putting the BSA from a PT inside...
Typically, only helicopters have gyro's onboard. I've never seen an airplane using gyros. You do everything yourself when trying to hover an airplane. You've still got the standard 4 controls. (aileron, elevator, rudder, and throttle) But changing one required compensating with another. Typically airplanes don't like to hover, they want to 'fall out' You have to use the elevator and rudder to hold it vertical. Kind of like balancing a yard stick on the tip of your finger. However, when using elevator or rudder to hold it vertical, you usually have to change the throttle, as elevator / rudder changes will increase drag, and the airplane will start to 'fall'. Now because the airplanes propeller is turning one way, the airplane itself will want to turn the other way. (motor torque and all) This can usually be compensated for by using ailerons. But changing throttle as before will change the amount of ailerons needed to prevent torque rolling. Also, even changing aileron input will add drag, and require more throttle. 'Torque rolling' is on purpose not correcting the motors torque with ailerons. The airplane will then start to 'spin'. The hard part here is keeping track of it's orientation relative to you. Elevator and rudder inputs are always chaging as it's turning around.

Sorry to go on like this, but if it sounds hard, IT IS.. I'm maybe not quite as good a pilot as my friend, but I can definatly hold my own. I enjoy hovering very low to the ground as well. Problem is, there's no height for making mistakes.

Last edited by ryan_walters; 10-28-2007 at 06:15 PM..
ryan_walters is offline   Reply With Quote