View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

When buying the AirWheel, it was the only version available from a credible UK distributor that boasted UK warranty and was touted as the only UK legal model available. It is for sale in Harrods - not known to be a merchant selling rip-offs. I made these points in a separate discussion thread about the Airwheel.

My logic is, if a company who holds a patent for some intellectual property sees another company ripping it off, then they can (and should IMHO) protect their IP and stop the competitor from ripping them off. There are lots of cases where IP is not protected or it is licenced etc. for various reasons.

I don't have the detailed knowledge of the Airwheel and similar modes of transport, like I do about the Segway, to be able to say who is copying who. So all I am saying here is, unless Segway have licenced their technology to the manufacturers of the Airwheel Segway-like device, Segway should look to prevent the sale of this much cheaper product in a country that recognises the patents involved and in a country that offers Segway's existing product line and has done since it's release.

I'm not trying to make out that this situation is new or unheard of. I was just alerting us and Segway INC to the situation so they can choose to do what they please. For all I know, Segway might have licenced their technology to the Airwheel manufacturers. Or perhaps their solicitors are drafting a letter to Airwheel UK as we type...

I can't see how letting this product exist and sell in the UK will be helping Segway UK or Segway INC at all.

Last edited by gbrandwood; 12-11-2014 at 01:45 PM..