View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #14
FrostyEOD
FrostyEOD will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
Well if you'll read my last post, you'll see that I spoke with someone in the university's business office who said that [although he will check with one other office in the next few days,] his office doesn't have a problem with me doing the tours on campus and he appreciates me consulting the university first.
great place to start, keep working until you have something in writing (doesn't have to be a formal contract yet - you will want something like that later on down the road), start putting a business plan together (there are self help books, local business organizations, business students, etc. that can help you with that part). I was involved in two start up businesses while I was in college and the first opened my eyes to the large amount of stuff that I did not know, the second showed me how much more work I ended up doing when I was the boss and not an employee.

In your favor - A&M has a large population that would make use of your tour business, it has lots of experienced tour guides (usually college students), it is large in area nad a Segway is almost a requirement for a tour that does not involve getting on and off buses.

The insurance question you have depends on what the university/town/county/state require for liability insurance (at a minimum) for a business (that also is putting people with minimal but minimally adequate training on Segways). you may try calling a few tour operators and asking what insurance carrier they use, then call the company and ask them about your specific area (if they need numbers tell them no more than a 10 to 1 ratio of tourists to guides, a mix of older and newer Segways - $2500-$6000 per unit, 30 minutes of instruction including watching the safety video and using a lesson plan, etc.).

Good luck . . . have fun . . . stay positive
FrostyEOD is offline   Reply With Quote