View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #27
Popkorn
Popkorn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default ADA & Segways in 2018

Many more facilities are updating their accessibility guidelines to include Segways. The ADA regulations covers all 50 states and includes "Wheelchairs, Mobility Aids, and Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices" It considers Segways as OPDMD – Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices just like motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

However, you can ONLY ride if you have a state issued Handicapped Parking Permit (like the one that hangs from you car’s rear view mirror). NOTE: I have a Segway MiniPRO with handlebar that has a scaled down copy of my Handicapped Permit in a special holder I made attached to it. (I tried to post a photo but coudn't get it small enough. If you PM me, I'll send it to you).

For all of you who have encountered problems in the past I hope you've seen changes for the better. Here are several situations I encountered in the past year:

1) I checked the New York City Parks Dept. website and found the name of their Accessibility Coordinator. He confirmed all NYC Parks are fully ADA compliant including use of OPDMD's. The next week I went riding in Central Park and got waves and thumbs ups from the NYC Police and park dept. employees.

2) I read that OPDMD's are allowed on paved paths in many NY State Parks. I spoke to their State ADA Coordinator who confirmed use of OPDMD's but suggested I speak to the specific park manager about which paths would be best. I did that and have ridden many times in Roosevelt State Park with no problems.

3) We are members of the New York Botanical Garden which is a 250 acre facility with mostly paved sidewalks and roads. I called and spoke with their Security Director, sent him ADA information and got a letter back from their Accessibility Director advising me that OPDMD's were fine except inside the main greenhouse where it can be wet and the paths are narrow & crowded. They let me park inside the building at the security desk. Their latest brochure covers all disability issues including OPDMD's.

4) Went to southern Florida on vacation and rode everywhere with no problem. Even rode through a glass exhibit at the Boca Museum of Art. I thought the Security Guards eyes were going to pop out of their heads!

5) I made a full-scale presentation to my local Parks Advisory Committee about Segway use on mixed-use paved pedestrian and bicycle paths for general non-handicapped purposes. They decided to keep their policy to not allow motorized vehicles including motorized wheelchairs. By working through the county's office for disabilities services and providing a copy of the ADA requirement, I was able to get them to change their policy.

For us older folks, the key here is to get a Handicapped Parking Permit. It gives us leverage through the ADA. I do sometimes carry a copy with me if I'm going into unfamiliar territory. Be proactive and don't take no for an answer!
Popkorn is offline   Reply With Quote